I am a sociologist by disciplinary training with a doctoral degree from the Department of Sociology, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India. My teaching and research interests are in the fields of Sociology of Law, Sociology of Kinship and Intimacy, Feminist Pedagogy and Jurisprudence, Qualitative Research Methods and Disability Studies. I joined Dr. B R Ambedkar University Delhi (AUD) in February, 2011 as an Assistant Professor. I became Associate Professor in March 2015 and a Professor w.e.f. March 2018. Earlier, I was at the Centre for Women‘s Development Studies, New Delhi as a Senior Lecturer, since January 2010 and at the West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (NUJS) since June 2002, as Teaching Assistant and subsequently as Assistant Professor. My works have been published in Economic and Political Weekly, Journal of Indian Law & Society, Journal of Educational Planning and Administration, Indian Anthropologist, Indian Journal of Gender Studies and Contemporary Voice of Dalit, among others. I have co-edited volumes published by Orient Blackswan and Zubaan, and published book chapters in volumes from Springer Nature, Zed Books, Sage, Routledge, Orient Blackswan, Zubaan, Har Anand and Gangchil. I ranked first in Sociology, Bachelor of Arts, University of Calcutta, Kolkata (1998), participated in International Visitors Leadership Programme on Human Rights Awareness (US State Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs; 2007) and was a recipient of PECANS fellowship on Law, Gender and Sexuality to become a visiting Fellow at the School of Law, University of Keele (2011) and Women in Security, Conflict Management and Peace (WISCOMP) SAAHAS awards (2020). I have served as Coordinator, School of Social Sciences, NUJS (2006-09), Joint Secretary, Indian Association of Women‘s Studies (2008-11), Member of Expert Committee on Law Reform, National Commission of Women, Govt of India (2011-12, 2019-20), Member of Core Group on Women at National Human Rights Commission, Government of India (2019-), Dean School of Heritage Research and Management, Director, Centre for Publishing, AUD (2019-), Director, Outreach and Extension Division, AUD (2021-) and acting University Librarian, AUD (2021-).
I also maintain a blog and a Twitter profile.
Areas of Specialisation: Sociology of Law | Women and Gender Studies | Life Narratives Methodology | Feminist Jurisprudence| Kinship and Intimacies | Cities and Living Arrangements
- Sen, Rukmini. 2023 (forthcoming). “Intersectional Feminist Activism and Practices of Transformation: Perspectives from Indian Feminism.” Journal of Women, Politics and Policy, Special Issue 44(4)
- Sen, Rukmini. 2023. “Pyaar, Promise, Dhoka: Feminist Questions to Law – Commentary on Uday v. State of Karnataka (2003) 4 SCC 46.” Verfassung in Recht Und Übersee 56(1):104–14. doi: 10.5771/0506-7286-2023-1-104.
- Sen, Rukmini. 2021. “Kalpana Kannabiran in Conversation with Rukmini Sen” Explorations, e Journal of Indian Sociological Society, 5 (2): 277-291 ISSN: 2581-5741
- Sen, Rukmini, and Krishna Menon. 2021. “Social Sciences Teaching and Research: Its Resilience and Relevance in Times of the NEP and Pandemic.” Journal of Educational Planning and Administration 35(1):47–58.
- Sen, Rukmini. 2020. “Stay Home, Stay Safe: Interrogating Violence in the Domestic Sphere.” Economic and Political Weekly 55(25).