Began working in Paris for the French Ministry of agriculture and the National Institute of Agronomic Research (INRA) on French or European issues (farm bankruptcies, 1992 CAP reform) prior to two long stints in India over eight years, first in Andhra Pradesh for doctoral work (1990-1991), then in New Delhi (1995-2000) as Director and researcher of the Centre de Sciences Humaines (CSH). Returned to France in 2000 to teach economics (ESAP, Toulouse).
Joined CIRAD in 2002 (Montpellier) and CIRED (International Research Centre on Environment and Development, Paris). Has been involved in several international research projects (value sharing in the cocoa-chocolate industry, agricultural greenhouse gases emission/sink, food-biofuel competition in land use). In 2006, began to develop Agribiom, a quantitative tool for analysing the world’s production, trade and use of biomass, in order to undertake collective future scenario-building such as “Agrimonde” (Paillard, Treyer & Dorin, 2011), hybrid models such as the “Nexus Land-Use” (Souty, Dorin & al., 2012) and worldwide analyses on labour productivity and structural transformation (e.g. Dorin 2017).
From 2014 to 2021, came back to India as CSH’s head of “Economics and Development”. Was promoted in 2018 “Chevalier” (Knight) in the Order of Agricultural Merit by the French Minister of Agriculture.
Is author or co-author of numerous official reports and articles, in addition to five books in English: “National Identity and Regional Cooperation” (Delhi, 1999), “The Indian Entrepreneur” (Delhi, 2003), “Agricultural Incentives in India” (Delhi, 2004), “Agriculture and Food in India” (Delhi, 2009), “Agrimonde: scenarios and challenges for feeding the world in 2050” (Versailles, 2011; Springer, 2014).
- Dorin Bruno, 2021. Theory, Practice and Challenges of Agroecology in India, International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability, 20(2), pp. 153-67
- Vigne Mathieu, Dorin Bruno, Aubron Claire, 2021. Is feeding the Indian dairy cow sustainable? A tentative multiscalar answer, International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability, 20(2), pp. 140-52
- Dorin Bruno, Joly Pierre-Benoît, 2020. Modelling world agriculture as a learning machine? From mainstream models to Agribiom 1.0, Land Use Policy, 96:July, pp. 103624
- Agarwal Bina, Dorin Bruno, 2019. Group farming in France. Why do some regions have more cooperative venture to cooperation than others?, Environment and Planning A: Economy and Space, 51:3, pp. 781-804
- Dorin Bruno, 2017. India and Africa in the Global Agricultural System (1960-2050): Towards a New Sociotechnical Regime?, Economic & Political Weekly, 52:25-26, pp. 5-13