[Opportunity] PhD Student Scholarship in Social Sciences
The Centre de Sciences Humaines (CSH) invites applications for a Ph.D. Student Scholarship in social sciences on a full-time basis, beginning on September 1st, 2022, for a one-year term, renewable for one year.
Reputed multidisciplinary research centre in social sciences on South Asia, the CSH (https://www.csh-delhi.com/) is a team of 11 full-time researchers (from both Europe and India), as well as several doctoral students and short-term visitors. It is engaged in research in all disciplines of the social sciences (anthropology, economics, geography, history, political science, sociology, urban studies, etc.).
|Job Title: PhD Scholarship at CSH|
Taking into consideration the small number of available doctoral grants, this one-year (renewable for one year) PhD scholarship is intended for doctoral students who have already started their thesis, but without any doctoral contract. It offers a second chance to talented young researchers registered in a French doctoral school.
This scholarship is primarily intended to support data collection work in the geographical areas covered by the CSH (India, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka). The second year can be devoted to the analysis of materials and the writing of the thesis.
With equal quality of application, preference will be given to Indian students who have completed their post-graduate studies in France.
- Hold a Master’s degree in social sciences from a leading academic institution
- Have been enrolled in a PhD programme at a leading university in France between 2019 and 2021 and have completed at least the first year of the doctorate.
- Have developed a research project based on empirical material (statistical data, archives, ethnographic observations, surveys by interviews or questionnaires, etc.)
- Be able to situate the object of the research in relation to the main existing works on the topic.
- Be familiar with the existing bibliography dedicated to the topic.
- Have developed research questions, elaborated methodological choices and identified the materials to be collected.
- Ability to integrate a French, Indian and international environment.
- Fluency in English and excellent written and oral skills. Knowledge of South Asian languages should be an advantage.
- Participate in the scientific life of the CSH, collaborate with CSH scholars. During the period of the internship, the candidate is expected to follow the rules of the CSH.
- Conduct data collection work in one of the CSH geographical areas
- Give a presentation his or her on-going research once a year
Status and Remuneration:
The status is that of a full-time researcher on par with all current full-time researchers at CSH.
The monthly net salary is 121 000 INR with access to CSH research funds.
Application and Selection:
The candidates should send a CV, a research project (maximum 15,000 characters including spaces), with a timeline of planned activities and an indicative bibliography, a recommendation letter from the supervisor(s) of the thesis and a certificate of registration in a French Doctoral School.
These documents should be sent electronically to Neeru Gohar @ neeru[dot]gohar[at]csh-delhi[dot]com and to Amit Arora @ amit[dot]arora[at]csh-delhi[dot]com.
Applications must be received by 25th April 2022 (midnight IST).
Pre-selected candidates will be contacted for an interview via video-conference (if abroad) or on the premises (if in Delhi) which will take place on 30th and 31st May 2022. The result of the selection procedure will be transmitted to the candidates by the 1st June 2022. The position is expected to start from 1st September 2022.
Please note that CSH reserves the right not to fill the position if no candidate is deemed suitable.