Claire Aubron is a former student of the Ecole Normale Supérieure of Ulm and graduate of AgroParisTech. She made her PhD in Comparative Agriculture on the development of dairy farming in the Andes, combining an ethnographic field work in a Peruvian rural community and a dairy market functioning analysis at national level, taking into account the liberalization process. Since 2007, she is associate professor at Montpellier SupAgro, working on livestock farming systems, agrarian systems and animal products value chains. The training modules she developed and lead for two masters on these issues include courses, tutorial classes and the supervision of field work sessions and several master theses per year. Her research, carried out in the research unit “Mediterranean and Tropical Livestock Farming Systems” (SELMET), mainly dealt from 2007 to 2013 with livestock farming systems, pastoralism and quality schemes in animal products in French Mediterranean areas. She has a strong interest in the role played by livestock farming in the development processes involving smallholder farms and that is the reason why she embarked in 2014 on an 18-month mobility project in India. Hosted by the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) and associated with the Centre for Social Sciences and Humanities (CSH) in New Delhi, she initiated a research based on several field studies in Gujarat and Bihar on the trade-offs between increasing milk production, social inclusion and environmental impact in Indian dairy farming. Since 2015, with a team involving a dozen of researchers and having CSH as a main partner, she conducts the IndiaMilk research project which aims at going further on these issues, combining disciplines and scales of analysis.
- Aubron C., Noël L. and Lasseur J., 2016. Labor as a driver of changes in herd feeding patterns: Evidence from a diachronic approach in Mediterranean France and lessons for agroecology. Ecological Economics, 127, p. 68-79.
- Dorin B. and Aubron C., 2016. Croissance et revenu du travail agricole en Inde Une économie politique de la divergence (1950-2014). Economie Rurale 352, p. 41-65.
- Aubron C., Lehoux H., Lucas C., 2015. Poverty and inequality in rural India: Reflections based on two agrarian system analyses in the state of Gujarat. EchoGéo, 32.
- Aubron C., Boutonnet J.-P. and Moulin C.-H., 2015. La dynamique ovine dans les Alpes de Haute-Provence : entre rémunération des qualités de viande et des services environnementaux, l’équilibre incertain. Histoire et Sociétés Rurales, 2 (Vol. 44), p. 57-80.
- Aubron C., Guérin G., Gallion B. and Moulin C.-H., 2013. Drawing together the knowledge of forestry and pastoralist experts in the construction of a technical support tool for silvopastoralism. Journal of Environmental Management, 117: 162-171.